Medical Assistant – Meadville PA
***This is a Part-Time Position***
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Responsible for assisting physicians with patient care as well as greeting customers, providing information to patients and physicians, communicating with departments, scheduling appointments and chart management. Provides information to patients so they may fully utilize and benefit from the clinic services.
- Fulfills patient’s care responsibilities as assigned, which may include but are not limited to: checking schedules and organizing patient flow; accompanying patients to exam/procedure room; assisting patients as needed with walking, transfers, dressings, collecting specimens, preparing for exam, etc.; collecting patient chief complaint; performing screenings HT. WT. TEMP. BP.; assisting the physicians; physician assistant/nurse with various procedures; charting; relaying instructions to patients/families; answering calls and providing pertinent information.
- Fulfills clerical responsibilities as assigned which may include; sending/receiving patient medical records; obtaining lab/x-ray reports, hospital notes, referral information, etc; completing forms/requisitions as needed; scheduling appointments; verifying insurance coverage and patient demographics.
- Fulfills environmental responsibilities as assigned which may include; setting up instruments and equipment according to department protocol; cleaning exam/procedure rooms, instruments and equipment between patient visits to maintain infection control; cleaning sterilizer according to scheduled maintenance program and keeping appropriate records; ordering, sorting, storing supplies; restocking exam/procedure rooms.
- Answers telephone calls, records messages for physicians and department personnel, schedules patient appointments and revises patient schedules for cancellations and so forth.
- Schedules patients for follow-up appointments, surgical procedure and/or appointments in other departments and clinics, and provides patients with basic information on referral physicians and other facilities for further care.
- Verifies that all charts are present for patient visit, prepares chart for patient visit by reviewing the chart and obtaining any information necessary prior to visit.
- Utilizing strong customer service skills will Greet patients in polite, prompt, helpful manner. Provides direction, information and other assistance if needed.
- Collects copays, provides any necessary forms needing completion and obtains signatures as necessary. Enters charges, completes referrals and obtains precertifications as needed.
- Verifies completion of necessary paperwork such as charge forms. Uses computer system to generate information necessary for billing.
- Maintains clean and orderly area.
The job holder must demonstrate current competencies applicable to the job position.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma. Accreditation from a Program or Certification as a Medical Assistant.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of one year experience in customer service setting, six month receptionist experience in health care setting and experience with office equipment preferred.
REQUIREMENTS: Certification in Medical Assisting or have the ability of obtaining certification within 90 days of hire.