Medical Receptionist – Meadville PA
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Responsible for greeting customers, communicating with all departments as well as performing a variety of clerical duties for physicians and other members of the facility and company. These functions include, but are not limited to, certain billing functions, operate office equipment, answering the telephone, screening calls, taking messages, providing information to patients and appropriate staff and balancing daily deposits. Obtains, verifies, and updates patient information and provides support services to patients and medical staff. Requests, locates, sends and receives aptient’s medical records and is accountable for all clerical tasks required to provide a continuum of care at the highest possible level to all our customers/patients.
- Greets, screens, and directs customers/patients in a polite, clear, prompt, and helpful manner. Informs appropriate department/person of patients’ arrival in a timely manner. Recognizes and expedites the emergency patient and how to handle an emergency situation. Recognizes when to interrupt the physicians. Schedules follow up office appointments.
- Completes, prepares, maintains, provides, batches, and files paperwork correctly and in a timely manner. Understand the importance and necessity of correct handling of all paperwork, such as but not limited to: encounter forms, missing tickets, correction logs, submission of daily charges and deposits, medical records, medical records release forms, super bills, patient sign in sheets, physical forms, drug screening forms, transient files as well as sorting/distributing mail and faxes including but not limited to interoffice mail.
- Updates patient information by entering updated demographics, insurance information, collects co pays and account balances, and obtains signatures as necessary. Distribution of the privacy and billing policies. Documenting in the computer that the distribution took place. Understanding what to do if the patient refuses to sign acknowledgement of documents. Educate all patients on Portal option, complete and submit enrollment form, and ensure follow up/set up of portal account.
- Maintains clean and orderly waiting and reception areas including reading materials and toy areas. Not leaving work for others and consistently (working all items that are stacked in a pile to be handled) maintaining a neat front desk area.
- Answers phones in a pleasant manner using consistent etiquette- identifying location and name and attends to customer needs expeditiously. Will not leave a caller on extended hold. Takes detailed messages utilizing the message form/AllScripts messaging and includes all pertinent demographic patient information as well as the time and date the message was taken and by whom. Medical receptionists are not permitted to give clinical advice.
- Ensure accurate review of patient information to prevent duplicate accounts- verifying name, date of birth, and social security number. Recognize what makes a complete encounter form and how to batch encounters. Understand the process for requesting a new insurance to be added.
- Knowledge and understanding of Meaningful Use.
- Understand and being accountable for checks received, bank deposits, including where the bag is kept and the procedure for the use and accounting of petty cash.
- Orders office supplies, assuring they are stocked and prepared for use. Assists in the care and maintenance of all office equipment.
- Being accountable for following the correct call off and time off procedures.
- Maintains strictest confidentiality.
The jobholder must demonstrate current competencies applicable to the job position.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma required.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of one year experience in customer service health care setting preferred. Experience with office equipment.
JOB TYPE:Full-time; Part-time